3G life!

on Thursday, July 28, 2011

I am writing after long time. Probably the hecticity in my life or may be laziness, I just lost my notepad.
My life has changed  a lot post MBA. I have been taking on new responsibilities and slowly getting exposed to business traits in mobile VAS industry.  Well, well, well I no longer hold a good opinion about business ethics followed in this space. Our operators are bleeding on low ARPUs and sitting on huge debts. They look at VAS as their savior. Launch of 3G services has fuelled the entire ecosystem. Content providers are always looking to ride on mobile networks to garner additional revenue source. Zillions of third party application providers are flooding the market.
But as it turns out, operators are acting as big brothers in VAS space demanding huge cuts. In this mad race to push these services, customer needs have not been understood completely. We can clearly see that customers are finding themselves entangled. With so much hype created around 3G, customers are not able to realize the value of these services.
The entire phenomenon can be seen to follow a push strategy. Customers are being fooled to try out various crazy applications and services. In order to renew subscriptions, service providers are leaving no way for a customer to find an escape route. The entire industry is suffering from faulty pricing and guidelines. I don’t see any watchdog vigiling these practices. Where is this going to go? Will somebody listen to customer at all?


0 comments: